Thursday, September 6, 2012

You're a Prince? I'm a fox.

 

I understand this post is long.


"You're a human being, and you also lie." stated the fox
"I do NOT LIE." the Little Prince corrected.
"Then you're inhuman." said the fox.
-The Little Prince

So I took a walk to the slaughter house. I let them do what they wanted, she cut slits in my forearms, legs, and stomach, she hollowed me out, then filled me with a crude paste of ground cow, pig, and my own intestines. She left my Head empty, except for an empty moleskin notebook. She gave me back my heart, I shoved it down my throat, left it in my chest.

Over the last year or so, I've given humanity a lot of thought. I've given humanity a lot of shit. I've been worried about my own humanity ever since I went to the slaughterhouse, some people might argue that I'm not a human simply because I don't have a brain, or eyes, or a stomach, or any of the necessary internal oregans--heart aside--to sustain life. But, i disagree.

It was a woman who hollowed me out, she never told me her name, but she looked an awful lot like a susan. After she put the notebook in my head, she took me to her own house, she watched after me and taught me for several months. A few things have remained. And what I'm about to tell you, is something few people have heard, I could go into the different kinds of sex, or give you a murder mystery, or something interesting, and pretend like I hid some kind moral, but I won't.

She told me that there are three things that prove your humanity, the first: Love, she told me that Love was everything--and not in a "flower power" way--it was all about the Love that you give, whether that Love is for your wife, or ex-wife, your pets or animals, your kids, your parents, your brothers and sisters, nature, your garden, anything, if you have that love it doesn't matter if you're poor or rich or sick or anything, Love makes life worth it.

Creation,  Creating emotions, creating art; a painting, a poem, a dance, a short story, a novell, a sculpture, a drawing. Creating a child--yeah sex. Creating friendships. Creating connections, and this one is important.

Creating connections with the people around you, with the earth and the mountains, and nature, with your wife, your children, your parents, your animals, your music, your writing, other peoples music and writing, your art, other peoples art. She told me that to be able to make connections with people you've never met through a medium of art, writing, or dance, was the greatest thing a human could do, and it was also something that only a human could do; To be able to sing a song, and have someone feel exactly what you were feeling.

I fell in love with her, or so I thought, I'm not sure why. Maybe because she was the first real human I've ever met. Or maybe it's because she was one of the very few GOOD women. I'm not sure, in all honesty she wasn't all that pretty, she was a little shorter then average and probably a pretty average weight for her height, small breasts--all her features were small--firey red hair that had never seen the slightest bit of taming, she had a very pretty voice though.

I told her I loved her, she sent me on my way. Broke my heart.

I had never seen the city I was in, it had fairly tall buildings--it would be easy to kill yourself--it was surrounded by mountains, it was next to the sea, and it was goddamn freezing.

I walked into a place called Anchor Cafe, and ordered a cup of hot chocolate, a woman brought me my drink. Her name was Mila. She was pretty, average height, almost too skinny, small breasts, small hands, and small facial features, but everything was fairly proportional. she had long brown hair, naturally curly, or maybe wavy. She gave me my hot chocolate and asked what happened to my arms, her voice was very cute, she spoke english with a hint of a scottish accent. I told her what happened, I'm not all that great at lying. She laughed, she had a cute laugh, she asked me where my coat was, I told her I didn't have one, she asked where I lived, I told her nowhere. She invited me to sleep at her house for the night.

I slept on a couch.

In the mourning she made me breakfast, "Thank you so much for letting me sleep here" she told me it was no big deal and that I was welcome to stay till I found somewhere else to live "thank you, I-I got you something, It's a secret, so I wrote it down." she took the piece of paper and unfolded it "it's the greatest lesson I've ever learned, Susan, you remember me telling you about her?"
"Of course."

"well this is the greatest lesson she taught me about humanity, she told me that if anybody ever told me I wasn't a human because I don't have a brain or a stomach or bones, to always remember this."
 
"It's only with the heart that one can see clearly," Mila was reading it slowly "what is essential is invisible to the eye." Mila looked up at me.

"It's actually from a movie called The Little Prince. But Susan helped me understand it."

"Gene, please stay."

4 comments:

  1. Whoa. I'm reading The Little Prince right now and I swear, I just read this part.

    Freaking weird.

    Good writing here. The opening paragraph floored me:

    So I took a walk to the slaughter house. I let them do what they wanted, she cut slits in my forearms, legs, and stomach, she hollowed me out, then filled me with a crude paste of ground cow, pig, and my own intestines. She left my Head empty, except for an empty moleskin notebook. She gave me back my heart, I shoved it down my throat, left it in my chest.

    Okay, it didn't floor me, but it was really good and I knew I had to read the rest of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you,
    that was the goal. I hope it worked on others as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes I wish you did your homework.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always do, sorry I was a bit late.

    ReplyDelete