Friday, October 5, 2012

class of 2013, this is your ten year reunion







My life:


Hello, My name is Gene Wilder, I'm 27 years old, six months after graduating high school I met my wife, a scottish girl--currently residing in California--named Mila, she was on vacation in utah, we spent a week together before she had to return to California, but we kept a relationship.
I was involved in the Salt Lake and Provo poetry scenes, both are very small, but I got attention from a small press based out of Austin, Texas named Write Bloody Book. They published my first poetry collection, titled "Pinetree Hearts" and sent me on tour for 8 months.

Mila was a senoir when we met. When she graduated, she moved up to utah to attend the U of U. I was on tour this whole time.

While on tour I got a phone call from a girl I used to work with, her dance company--based out of Salt Lake City--wanted to choreograph a few of my poems, I agreed and we had a lovely 45 minute show featuring my poetry. We got national attention for it, and soem producer in New york wanted it, so we picked up and headed for New York, Mila came with me. We re-cast the dancers, and I rewrote the entire show. On opening night it was one hour and fifteen minutes, dancing to music (written by me) and poetry, the story was in a "dead mans bones-esque way" a tale of a broken hearted zombie trying to find his place in this world, and trying to find a woman who will love him. We recieved international praise, and thus, we went on a short tour--3 months--through the U.S. and Europe, Mila stayed.

Upon arriving back home in Utah I took it upon myself to record a few poems with a bit of music, I gave a phone call to Joshua James, owner of Willamette Mountain Farm and studio, and set up a week and a half to do the recordings, I originally planned on doing 9 poems with music in the back, but what came out what 8 poems, and 5 songs. Joshua was going to be leaving on tour for his fourth album and invited me to open up for him on tour, we toured the U.S. for 8 months, and then off to europe for 3 months.

During this tour I revised a few novels I had written, when I got home, I got a literary agent and found two different publishers to release two different books, one called "The sundance kid" the other called "Mila"
The releases were 9 months apart and each publisher threw me on tour for 6 months.

The tour with Joshua James was incredible, each show I read poems, and sang songs, Joshua said that my music was "in demand" and when I got back from my book tours I recorded another music album, this one was self titled, it had 10 songs and 6 poems. I also put together my second collection of poetry once again with Write Bloody Book, this one was called "stills held in the beaks of magpies", but before I released either and left on tour, I married Mila. We found a small appartment In pleasant grove and moved in, we only spent four months as a married couple before I left on tour once again, but this time I toured the U.S. for nearly nine months, taking only a two week break to see my lover, and my family for christmas, and then toured europe for 5 months, at the end of that tour, Mila and I spent two weeks roaming around Paris.

I finally settled down, Mila and I bought a small farm in American Fork, we live right on the border of A.F. and P.G. I took a break from touring, but I released my third novel called "The goats are dead".

Mila and I are happy. We have three dogs, two cats, 5 goats, 23 chickens, and two horses, two sheep, and three bee boxes. All of our soap comes from the goats milk, as well as our cheese, and drinking milk, our honey is obviously from our bees, and we even have multiple candles from the wax, all of our produce comes from the wonderful garden out back. Mila works at the local high school in the special ed department. I have a teaching certificate in case we ever need more then writing and the Special Ed department.
I have a fourth novel scheduled to be released next year, and My next poetry collection and album will be released in eight months, I have a 14 month tour planned.


What I say when people ask me what i'm doing:

"oh, my wife and I live on a farm in A.F., I'm a writer, shes a teacher. good seeing ya."

1 comment:

  1. Wow.

    Why was this so enthralling to me? Because I loved how specific it was? Because I'm rooting for you? Because I wish more people had dreams like this? Because I have this same dream?

    Again, I loved the specificity. You're imagining it before it happens...that's how it happens.

    ReplyDelete